- The Oregon Council on Problem gambling has no opinion on the moralistic value of gambling. We do oppose illegal gambling.
- As long as the State sanctions gambling as a source of income, it has a duty-of-care to its citizens to take measures to minimize gambling related harm including making available timely and effective interventions to address issues related to problem gambling as well as supporting effective prevention interventions.
- Decisions made by the State to increase gambling, either by allowing new forms of gambling, by increasing access to gambling, or by increasing the promotion of gambling, should be done in a manner which takes into consideration any potential harm associated with the expansion and place measures into effect to minimize potential social and emotional costs.
- Treatment and prevention services provided, or fiscally funded, by the State should meet the outcomes standards of current evidence-based practices for diverse populations.
- Collaboration among all the stakeholders – State; Treatment and Prevention Providers; Researchers; Gaming Industry; and, Consumers and their Families – is essential to establish and maintain the highest quality of treatment and prevention opportunities.
Be a Reliable Resource for Current Information and Expertise on Problem Gambling for Oregonians
Maintain a library of up-to-date information to inform the citizens of Oregon and its decision and policy makers on the issues relevant to gaming management and problem gambling management in Oregon.
Monitor and Report on Effectiveness of Problem Gambling Services
Assess the availability and effectiveness of treatment and prevention efforts. Ensure the State is meeting reasonable levels of treatment with a goal of providing effective treatment to who experience problem or pathological gambling.
Promote Public Education
Monitor and seek to improve the level of awareness of treatment services available to Oregonians. Monitor and seek to increase the percentage of Oregonians who set time and budget limits when they gamble.