MISSION & GOALS
MISSION & GOALS
To promote the health of Oregonians through supporting efforts to minimize gambling-related harm.
- The Oregon Council on Problem gambling has no opinion on the moralistic value of gambling. We do oppose illegal gambling.
- As long as the State sanctions gambling as a source of income, it has a duty-of-care to its citizens to take measures to minimize gambling related harm including making available timely and effective interventions to address issues related to problem gambling as well as supporting effective prevention interventions.
- Decisions made by the State to increase gambling, either by allowing new forms of gambling, by increasing access to gambling, or by increasing the promotion of gambling, should be done in a manner which takes into consideration any potential harm associated with the expansion and place measures into effect to minimize potential social and emotional costs.
- Treatment and prevention services provided, or fiscally funded, by the State should meet the outcomes standards of current evidence-based practices for diverse populations.
- Collaboration among all the stakeholders – State; Treatment and Prevention Providers; Researchers; Gaming Industry; and, Consumers and their Families – is essential to establish and maintain the highest quality of treatment and prevention opportunities.
Enhance organizational infrastructure and capacity.
The Oregon Council on Problem Gambling will develop its organizational infrastructure seeking agency expansion, expertise, consistent implementation of structural practices, and diversification of resources. This will be accomplished through partnerships between staff, the board, and key stakeholders.
Provide high-quality accessible services.
The Oregon Council on Problem Gambling will provide the highest quality, cutting-edge responsible and problem gambling and problem video gaming awareness and educational services to Oregonians.
Develop a concerted Oregon research agenda.
The Oregon Council on Problem Gambling will provide a concerted, high-quality gambling research initiative that will be scalable based upon organizational capacity.
Advocate on key issues affecting Oregonians.
The Oregon Council on Problem Gambling will be a respected voice on responsible and problem gambling issues, policies and practices that affect Oregonians.